Lupus Foundation of America
Master Spas helps to fund and raise lupus awareness
What is Lupus?
Lupus is an unpredictable and misunderstood disease in which the immune system is out of balance, causing damage to any organ system in the body. Symptoms of lupus come and go, change over time, and often imitate other illnesses, making lupus difficult to diagnose. Common symptoms include joint pain, skin rashes, overwhelming fatigue, and fevers that last for days or weeks.
The exact cause of lupus is unknown. However, lupus is not contagious. While lupus can strike anyone at any time, 90% of the people living with lupus are females. Women of color are at an especially high risk. Lupus usually develops between ages 15 and 44. While lupus can be disabling and fatal, the disease can be managed in most cases through aggressive medical treatment and lifestyle changes.
What is the Lupus Foundation?
The Lupus Foundation of America is the only national force devoted to solving the mystery of lupus, one of the world's cruelest, most unpredictable, and devastating diseases, while giving caring support to those who suffer from its brutal impact. They envision a life free of lupus.
Lupus is a complex disease affecting more than 1.5 million Americans that requires a comprehensive strategy. Across the nation, the Lupus Foundation of America spreads awareness, supports people with lupus, and helps educate the best treatment options available and how to deal with symptoms and get relief.
How did Master Spas get involved?
Lupus struck the family of Master Spas' CEO, Bob Lauter, in 1998 when his daughter, Lisa, began having a lot of pain. After several misdiagnoses, it was finally determined she had lupus.
Her father's idea to start the Bubbles for Hope campaign proved to be inspring to both Lisa and the members of the Master Spas family. The campaign took place at most of our domestic dealerships where sales-persons collected $10 donations from customers for the research fund of the Lupus Foundation of America. Whether customers bought a hot tub, a spa, or just a filter, customers chipped in to show that they care.
"As I became more familiar with lupus, I realized how serious it can be and how many people suffer from it. Because our dealer network is like a family I felt they would get behind a program to support the Lupus Foundation of America.'"
In additon to the Bubbles for Hope campaign, Master Spas also encouraged its dealers to sell rubber ducks in their stores. All proceeds from these sales directly funded the Lupus Foundation of America.
Master Spas Inc. currently donates a portion of the profit from each "Lights for Lupus" spa model directly to the Lupus Foundation of America. Together, we can find the cure.
What are Our Goals?
Reduce the time to diagnose lupus.
Ensure people with lupus have an arsenal of safe and effective treatments.
Expand direct services and increase access to treatment and care.
Test Yourself for Lupus
- Have you ever had stiff, tender, and swollen joints that feel worse in the morning?
- Have you ever had an unexplained fever higher than 100°F for more than a few days that was not due to an infection?
- Have you ever had extreme fatigue and weakness for days or weeks at a time, even after plenty of sleep?
- Has your skin broken out after being in the sun, but it's not a sunburn?
- Have you ever been told that you have anemia, low white cell count or low platelet count?
- Have you developed irritation or dryness in your eyes or mouth for more than a few weeks?
- Have you ever been told that you have protein in your urine?
- Have you ever felt chest pain while taking deep breaths?
- Have your fingers and/or toes ever become pale or red or blue, or felt numb or painful?
- Have you ever had a stroke or heart attack?
- Have you ever had blood clotting problems or a miscarriage?
- Have you ever had redness or a rash across your nose and cheeks in the shape of a butterfly?
- Have you ever had a seizure or convulsion?
- Have you ever had unexplained confusion that lasted more than an hour?
- Have you had sores in your mouth or nose that lasted for more than five days, or sores on your skin that would not heal?
- Have you ever had swelling in your legs and ankles on both sides at the same time?
- Have you had sudden, unexplained hair loss?
- Have you had unexplained weight loss or abdominal pain that is worse when you breathe?
If you answer "yes" to at least three of these questions, the Lupus Foundation of America suggests that you consult with your doctor and discuss any questions that you may have about Lupus.
How Can I Help?
- Make a donation.
- Participate in a Walk to End Lupus Now event.
- Become a lupus activist.
- Participate in a clinical trial.
- Spread awareness through awareness campaigns, celebrity engagement, and online and social marketing.